Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Am Going Broke...

I took a trip to Frank and Sons today - it's a perfect place to get a gift for somebody who's well-oriented in comic books, Japanese culture, airsoft, sports, or pop culture overall. A great warehouse that sells collectibles - they've even got a place where you can get the BEST movie posters, and a booth not that far away where you can keep that poster in a poster protector :D Anywho, enough of my advertising...

I came in with the intent of spending my Christmas money (all $140) on something in Frank and Sons. However, as I thought about it, I also wanted to save my money for my trip to Solvang, California; I'm going camping with several friends from New Years Day to the fourth (the day I'm supposed to move back to Irvine - cutting it close, eh?) and we're camping out at Gaviota State Park. Solvang - a city made famous by Sideways, The Simpsons, and other television shows(American Dad, Pinky and the Brain, Kathy Griffin) - is not that far away from Gaviota, and we usually take a trip out there whenever we're around. Well, at least my friend, Spencer does.

Ah yes, Spencer Brown - he's usually the man who coordinates these trips out to Gaviota because he frequents out there often. I went with him once, and I had the time of my life. This was the summer of my freshmen year going into my sophomore year of high school - those were good memories. Since then, I've been desperate to go but unfortunately there's always bad timing. I was afraid that the same would happen, considering that my family is planning on heading down to San Diego for the New Years Countdown; my parents's friends are throwing a party and my parents planned on attending by dragging us along. Its a conglomeration of a whole bunch of families, really. That's a story for another time, however.

I'm digressing. Point is, I wanted to save money for this camping trip, so I walked into Frank and Sons determined to walk out with at least $100 in my pockets.

I walked out with $43 bucks left.

The reason for the sudden hole in my pocket?

The glory that is Watchmen. But I bought more than that.


I dropped $60 on this monolith of a beauty. I know the math doesn't add up, but I also bought other things as well. But this one was the biggest reason for the hole in my wallet. And it was completely by impulse, too. I walked out of Frank and Sons with this beauty in my hands, in shock for like an hour. Literally. Like, I knew I should be feeling guilt, but feeling it in my hands, the weight of it, the smell of it, the beauty of the page - I did not regret my buy.

Oversized hardcover collection. Digitally remastered line art. Brand New Coloring. 48 pages of extras, from samples of Alan Moore's original script to the promotional pieces.

I believe there's a song to the feeling I got while I held this beauty in my hand.

Then a thought came to mind as I embraced my treasure: I paid $60 on a comic book.

... I believe there's a six letter word for my kind: virgin*.












*I jest, of course. I just like poking at stereotypes. Ever since geek chic got popular, this stereotype seems to have died.

No comments: