Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Nice...

... to finally be able to wake up without obligations. Most especially in your own dorm. There's something more liberating waking up in a dorm with no obligations than your own room at home. Maybe it's the fact that I don't have my parents looming over me? Yeah, that's it.

Woke up with an ear-infection, stuffy nose, and something going on with my throat. I had an inkling that I was going to wake up with this last night - my sinuses were more clogged than a run-down, out-of-order public toilet, and I thought to myself, "Maybe I should take that dosage of 500 mg of ampicillin I have lying around here somewhere... My throat is feeling a bit raw..."

But than again, my whole mouth was raw last night after eating some cold-and-spicy flour noodles that my dorm-buddy Elliot, made for this little feast I decided to make last night. I wanted to do a bit of a feast to get rid of the stuff in my fridge - because we're being kicked out of our dorms this Saturday and we need to clear our room of all valuables and food from our fridges. But instead, I threw out the meat, went over to Trader Joes and bought some ingredients to make some of my Red Fried Rice. Twas delicious :]

Ah... it's so nice to be able to live in a dorm without any obligations. I know I've already said this but with no classes, it feels so good! And now I can read literature I actually want to read! Alright, here's a list of books I want to read over break: Persepolis, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, and The Simpsons and Philosophy.


Persepolis, from the looks of it, is a comic about a young girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It's teaching me history in a format I fancy - and speaking of which, Tristan's also presented to me Action Philosophers - also a comic book, but it details the lives and details of philosophers - from Lao Tzu to Joseph Campbell. I shall look into that as well. Oh yeah, and Persepolis was also made into a movie. I plan on seeing it sometime.

The Simpsons and Philosophy I picked up because it was cheap on Amazon ($7) and not to mention, there was an excerpt on examining Homer Simpson in Aristotelian terms. Considering that Aristotle and Socrates were my strongest subjects for the past several weeks, I wanted to see there is to him. That and there's a comparison of Bart to Nietzsche, and I would like to learn more about Nietzsche. The Simpsons seem like a good place to start.

And then there's The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon - a UCI alumni. I initially picked this up because well... I judged the book by its cover and thought it look pretty awesome. I mean, look at the picture above - how can you NOT buy a book with something like that on its cover? That and the idea of Alaska being a Jewish State during post-WWII seemed like an interesting idea to me. They're making a movie out of this, too!

Crap, and then there's also a Clockwork Orange that I need to read through. I borrowed it from a girl I met a couple weeks ago, Stephanie, and promised to return it to her as soon as I'm done. Considering that I've had school for awhile, I never got around to it - well, here's my chance! I've already seen the movie which I must admit I did quite enjoy. Minus the rape scene.



Alright, so I gotta read Yiddish Policeman's Union, Clockwork Orange, Persepolis, and The Simpsons and Philosophy. Oh, and Action Philosphers. A lot of reading to do, but I like to look at it as a way of better culturing myself. I need it, anyways.

Now, movies to watch over break. The Spirit, Frost/Nixon, The Wrestler, and the Curious Case of Benjamin Button... And that's just in theaters. There's stuff that I need to watch over break so I can get into the loop of. Like Firefly - there are only thirteen episodes, right? Sorry, fourteen - I just checked. And all of them are on Hulu! Just my luck! Now, what else should I check out? Any movies? Shows? Any suggestions anybody?

... any?

1 comment:

YY said...

"There's something more liberating waking up in a dorm with no obligations than your own room at home. Maybe it's the fact that I don't have my parents looming over me? Yeah, that's it." AMEN. We talked about this over fried rice for lunch remember?

Btw, I got a bunch of movies to catch up on too. See you back in the dorms. (: