Saturday, February 07, 2009

Dammit, fine I bite. 25 things you don't need to know about me.

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

(To do this, go to “Notes” under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1. I am a proud geek - clogged sinuses, nasally voice and all. Comic books, sci-fi, video games and everything that the internet has to offer.

2. I have just recently discovered contemporary pop culture in high school, and trying to catch up on it. Queen, John Hughes, the Godfather, Citizen Kane, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Tim Burton, The Kinks, Pulp Fiction, Hair, Hairspray, Johnny B. Goode, and everything that Billy Joel said in "We Didn't Start the Fire" and then some. Over 70 years of American pop culture I need to consume... God that's a mouthful.

That's what she said.

3. I can't seem to get away from music; for some reason why I'm magnetically attracted to musicians - either they still be practicing musicians or at least they were in high school. I seem to hit it off with them better than other folks.

4. I've played the trombone for seven years, and before that the trumpet for three. During that time, I also played the piano for five before I quit. I was never any good at any of them.

5. My best years were in high school. Those were my glory days, and I miss them.

6. I would like to be part of a Barbershop Quartet before I graduate from college.

3. I want to be in the entertainment business. Acting, directing, screenwriting, producing - I'll take any of those jobs. I just enjoy the movie making process.

4. I thrive off an audience and laughter.

5. Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs was a life-changing movie for me. It honestly changed my perspective on what a quality movie is. It also was a gateway to contemporary pop culture for me. Thanks Catie :D

6. Oh, and as a result of number 1, I'm not very athletic. OMG SHOCKER I KNOW.

7. I'm deaf. Not literally. However, I do find ironic the fact that I know some sign language. I think being in band and listening to terrible music at max volume with my headphones on throughout middle school is possibly the cause of my hearing problems. And my tinnitus.

8. My time in college has taught me something - the whole partying scene? So not for me.

9. I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

10. I like to consider myself a Jack of All Trades when it comes to my geekisms. I've dabbled in everything, but not exactly an expert at a specific subject.

11. Jazz = Love. Favorite subgenre = Bebop, Big Band, & Ragtime. Hated subgenres = Jazz fusion & Soft Jazz. Well, aside from the Jazz Odyssey.

12. I actually like musicals. I just don't go out and watch a lot of them because well... they cost quite a pretty penny. So I'm limited to college productions, amateur productions, and film musicals.

13. I was raised on cartoons; from Felix the Cat of the 1930s to the Simpsons of the 1990s. If its animated, I would watch it. Looking back at what I watched... I understand what people mean when they say "Kids'll watch anything."

14. I think Heroes is terribly written. It's cliche, ripped out of the pages of comic books (and not even the goods ones) and a lot of the characters are very two dimensional. And the writing - God, it's looser than Paris Hilton!

15. Heroes is a guilty pleasure for me. So are Michael Bay movies (minus Pearl Harbor) and Dan Brown books.

16. I have scarlet fever.

17. I like the Victorian, Vaudevillian lifestyle - which is why a top hat, cane, tuxedo jacket with coattails, and a monocle still remain on my wishlist. And it's also why I like steampunk.

18. I also fancy the Prohibition era of the 1920s - jazz, flappers, the Charleston, speakeasies synonymous with drunken debauchery. It was America at its most cultural - most likely due to its seclusion from the world after of World War I.

19. You know, I feel like I have a knack for teaching. I think I get it from my dad - he was a math teacher. I get a kick out of teaching random people the random stuff I know or things I learned from class; but I don't think I can ever have enough patience to teach.

20. I'm not outgrowing designer/vinyl toys, comic books, video games or cartoons anytime soon. In fact, I'm watching old episodes of Animaniacs as we speak.

21. People think I'm weird. I think I'd rather be weird than boring, uninteresting, and generic.

22. I plan on picking up the piano, a brass instrument, and doing some vocal training one of these days. At least before I turn 30. Oh God, but seeing how my plans never seem to turn out the way I want... I can only hope I get around to doing any of that.

23. I'm terribly lazy. And have a hard time being motivated. It's a wonder how I get anything done. Or how I am where I am today. Does not bode well for my plans on number 22.

24. I kind of enjoy street culture. Graffiti, alternative hip-hop (mostly from the Bay/San Francisco area), low-brow artistic movement, designer/vinyl toys, Banksy, Joe Ledbetter, Garey Baseman. I'm not exactly a part of it, but I do enjoy it.

25. I get a kick out of the vulgar, lewd, explicit, taboo, awkward, offensive and shocking. However, I won't laugh at dicks being drawn all over the place, or terrible jokes out of movies like Date Movie. There has to be some taste in the distaste. And for some reason, I find gratuitous full-frontal male nudity hilarious - like Borat and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

No comments: